Monday, September 26, 2011

Catch up!

Okay so I've fallen a little behind on words of the day so here a few to help me catch up :)

First is a phrase that everyone needs on the bus: Разрешите мне пройти, пожалуста.
In english: Razreshite mne praiti, pajaloosta.
It literally means allow me to pass, please. Or in other words a nice way of saying can you move out of the ay so I can get off the bus, please. This is needed often because the buses that go from Volgograd to Volshky are coach buses. They are very nice for those that get a seat, but in true Russian style, people get try to get as much as they can out of one trip and so that leaves many people standing in the aisle. And leaves me with quite a predicament when I have to get off at the first stop in Volshky. Ergo the phrase pазрешите мне пройти, пожалуста is a must :)

Another useful phrase is слишком многие. In english slishkom monogie.
It means too many. I chose this because it is especially helpful for those of us who are fed way too much food by our host family and do not want to gain 20 pounds while we are in russia, i.e. me! So now I just say слишком многие :)

3 comments:

  1. Colleen,

    You continue to amaze me with your patience. I would be demanding to know how to say in Russian, "Would you please move the **** out of my way?"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do Russians curse? I agree with Jennie, maybe a few well pronounced, appropriately placed expletives, followed by 'pajaloosta' of course, might help make your point :)

    Also, it is a good thing to learn 'too many' as we cannot afford to purchase or send home a new wardrobe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Russians do curse. When we were at a pub with some of our russian friends tonight they were actually teaching us some curse words and we found out that a lot of the times russians curse in english too. There is even a song on the radio here where the main lyric is "what the f***". Its quite weird for us to hear because they play it in nice restaurants too.

    ReplyDelete