So despite the fact that I told you what I was thankful for I never really filled you in on how out actual Thanksgiving went. We headed over to Anna's home stay for Thanksgiving which was exciting in and of its self cause we aren't usually allowed over. Originally, we had hoped to cook with her host dad but some how that got lost in translation so we had a very untraditional meal. Anna's host dad made three different types of meat (turkey with melted cheese, chicken wrapped in bacon and pork stuffed with peaches or apricots) all of which were amazingly delicious. Then we also had mashed potatoes, three different salads and deviled eggs with caviar. And in true Russian style, and American thanksgiving style, her host dad just kept shoveling food onto our plates until most of the food was gone. After that we were allowed a short rest and then ushered back into the kitchen for three different desserts. Needless to say I was quite glad I wore my leggings that day. Although we were not able to cook any of our own dishes, all of the food was fantastic and it was nice to just sit down and have a meal together.
Friday was spent at school and then hanging out with my host mom in the evening. Saturday we decided to venture to see a movie again in Russian and so we wouldn't be too confused, we ended up seeing Immortals since we figure the action would be fairly easy to follow. It was a good movie all in all but a little too much gore for me, although seeing as it was by the same guy who did 300 I guess we knew that going in.
Sunday Ashlin and I headed to Volgograd early to tutor for Marina. In the class we got to try to explain to them the phenomenon of Black Friday. Even with our descriptions however I don't think they truly understood the concept, I guess its just one of those things you have to see to believe. After the class we headed over to meet Masha for ICE SKATING!!!!!!! It was a lot of fun to go ice skating and surprisingly it was just the same here as it is at home. Here are some pictures :)
After we were tired out from skating we walked back to Masha's house. Along they way we got a bit side tracked however by a playground and the snow that had been falling all day. This resulted in a lot of pictures, see below:
 |
| Anna's failed attempt to hold me |
 |
| I'm riding a giraffe! |
 |
| Jumpshot #1 = Fail |
 |
| Jumpshot #2! |
 |
| Jumpshot # 3 |
 |
| Jumpshot # 4 |
 |
| Jumpshot # 5! |
 |
| I'm a tree! |
And so with all those adventures the phrase of the weekend is кататься на коньках.
In english katatsa na kahnkah (hard h sound).
It means to go ice skating :)
Awesome! Thanks for sharing all the photos. Glad you are having so much fun with the snow. None here...yet. We miss you so much...see you soon.
ReplyDeleteYou should put all your jump shots together and get a really cool, but short, movie!
ReplyDeleteI love that you always find a playground when you are out and about. Seems like something I would do too. In your travels, have you seen many backyard swingsets or is that an American thing?
ReplyDeleteThey are more of community swingsets because almost everyone in Russia live in apartment buildings. But they are everywhere here too.
ReplyDelete